[asterisk-dev] Need help on "how to get channel outside asterisk?"

beiyan jin jinbeiyan2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 08:28:30 CST 2012

Hi Asterisk experts,
I need your help on the following issue:

I want to monitor a call using Asterisk's AMI and here is what I did:

A: SIP client registered to my SIP server
B: SIP client registered to Asterisk

steps:
1. Client A calls client B via my sip server to asterisk
2. Call between A and B gets established.
3. In asterisk I can see that the $CHANNEL for this call is set to

   SIP/mySIPServer-0008db25
4. During the call, I start recording the call by sending the following request to asterisk's AMI
    and it works OK.

    Action:Monitor
    Channel:SIP/mySIPServer-0008db25   ActionID:987987987988

5. I can also pause and unpause the recording using PauseMonitor and UnpauseMonitor without any issue.

My question is how can I find this CHANNEL for a particular call from outside the asterisk?
From outside the asterisk, we usually refer a particular sip call by SIP call ID and CHANNEL is only known inside asterisk, I think.
Is there a easy way we can get  this Channel using call ID from outside Asterisk?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Beiyan