[asterisk-dev] Updated API wiki page

Tim Ringenbach tim.ringenbach at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 17:03:53 CST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM, David M. Lee <dlee at digium.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Tim Ringenbach wrote:
>
> This is supposed to be a higher level interface, right? How about
> guidelines about what's taboo to it.
>
> Will you be able to use it to direct call/access any of: channel
> variables, global variables, functions that don't require a channel,
> functions that require a channel, applications, agi commands, cli commands,
> manager commands or manager events?
>
> I suspect the answer might be "no", to all of those.
>

> Pretty much. With an API, what you leave out is as important as what you
> put in.

So, how will the API accomplish things like logging an agent into a queue,
or redirecting to voicemail, or more exotic things like running an Echo
test, or playing a telezapper tone? Or asked another way, which use cases
aren't in scope of this API?

One frustation I've had in the past, is realizing whatever it is I'm trying
to do, I need to use another interface to accomplish it. Most commonly, I'm
writing an AGI script, and find myself needing to do something only the AMI
can do. But I've seen other odd combinations too, e.g. I've seen people
resort to using System(asterisk -rx 'some command') from the dialplan.

But it sounds like you're going to be exposing the Stasis-core API to the
manager, so at least I should never have to connect to both the AMI and
Stasis to do something.

> I'm happy there is is finally going to be a UUID that track the channel
> that won't have the problem that the current uniqueids have with
> masquerades. But I do kind of wonder why a third channel identifier is
> being added, as opposed to fixing one of the two existing ones. (Maybe
> append the uuid to the channel name?) But maybe that was discussed at
> AstriDevCon.
>

> Yeah; my intention is to fix what's there rather than add a ReallyUniqueID
> field. I'm also realizing that it's going to take a bit of software
> archeology to figure out masquerades, uniqueid, etc. and come up with a
> plan for how to fix it.

On the subject of uniqueids and channel masquerades, I can point you to my
own email from a few years ago:
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2010-June/044754.html and an
old reviewboard patch https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/760/