[asterisk-dev] Updated API wiki page

David M. Lee dlee at digium.com
Tue Dec 4 16:08:01 CST 2012

On Dec 4, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Tim Ringenbach wrote:

> This is supposed to be a higher level interface, right? How about guidelines about what's taboo to it.
>
> Will you be able to use it to direct call/access any of: channel variables, global variables, functions that don't require a channel, functions that require a channel, applications, agi commands, cli commands, manager commands or manager events?
>
> I suspect the answer might be "no", to all of those.

Pretty much. With an API, what you leave out is as important as what you put in.

> I'm happy there is is finally going to be a UUID that track the channel that won't have the problem that the current uniqueids have with masquerades. But I do kind of wonder why a third channel identifier is being added, as opposed to fixing one of the two existing ones. (Maybe append the uuid to the channel name?) But maybe that was discussed at AstriDevCon.

Yeah; my intention is to fix what's there rather than add a ReallyUniqueID field. I'm also realizing that it's going to take a bit of software archeology to figure out masquerades, uniqueid, etc. and come up with a plan for how to fix it.

> As for use cases, Bridge and Presence cover most of what I can think of. It's just a matter of whether specifics will be supported. Some examples:
>  - Redirect/transfer channels to difference places in the dialplan
>  - Pickup a ringing channel
>  - Detect a fax tone, turn on recording (maybe you're troubleshooting failed faxes) but without mixing the streams, and redirect to ReceiveFax()
>  - Observe that there's 10 people waiting in a queue for more than 30 minutes, and start logging more people into the queue, or redirecting calls to specific phones
>  - Detect that someone's talking in a Conference and send a signal to a webapp
>  - Light up a BLF on a phone after someone dials a special extension from a speed dial that logs them in to a custom queue implemented using Stasis
>  - Findme/Followme: record a file that will automatically be deleted when the call is over, then call a bunch of numbers, at least one of which is a local phone that's forwarded to a different number, play them an IVR that uses this file, then bridge 0 or 1 of them to the original call, hanging up the others. Bonus: have the CDRs make sense at the end of this.

Excellent. Thanks!

--
David M. Lee
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer