[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 11 configuration files

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Wed Aug 29 19:22:21 CDT 2012

You need to fix your email client. It is impossible to see what you
wrote and what I wrote.

Michel Verbraak <michel at verbraak.org> writes:

>  With this setup when a modules is ever renamed a new section is added.
>  People can customize to their own specifics.

But who wants to customize the name of a config file?

>  An interface needs to be created which every module can call to locate
>  it's config files. Each module specifies it's own lineids to use but the
>  main/initial config file lineid is always "mainconfig".

Yes, if it is a desirable feature then it is a sensible way to implement
it. However, I disagree that it is a desirable feature. The next step is
to make module names configurable so they get to name the entries in the
main config file... Clearly that is absurd.

However I love the original idea of trying to make a standard for file
names, as long as exceptions are allowed. If most of the modules do it
the same way, that means I have do not have to use so many of my few
brain cells to remember what goes where.

If someone wants to drop a file somewhere with a list of all modules and
their config files, that is great too. Please do not let that file
actually change anything, it should be documentation only.

/Benny