[asterisk-dev] Removing res_jabber, chan_gtalk, chan_jingle?

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Thu Aug 16 10:13:53 CDT 2012

On 12-08-16 10:34 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> 16 aug 2012 kl. 15:20 skrev Matthew Jordan:

I actually want to get together with a group of people at astri(dev)con
and hash out some ideas about this.  Specifically integrators managing
multiple asterisk production boxes.  I definitely think there is a
difference of opinions on this subject between developers, implementers
and end users.

> In my world, we are considering the upgrade to 1.8, a release that is slowly becoming stable enough to be
> used in production, which means LTS for us - or PQ, Production Quality. It's time to leave 1.4 that is
> a stable workhorse.

I think it is safe to say the first few releases of a new branch, might
have some stability issues.  From what I see, it is simply because the
lack of people that actually test Beta and RC releases before the .0
release. Additionally should we even bother doing RCs (that is a
different discussion I want to have too[1]).

Just look to the 1.8 branch for example, for us, anything before 1.8.7.1
seems to have some significant issue (eg: 1.8.4 and Cisco phones).  This
is why we have chosen 1.8.7.1 as our base release.  For what we do, it
seems fairly stable.

> We might want to combine the idea of certified and LTS into something that is boring, but at least have
> survived two development releases before being included in something that is LTS/Certified.

IMO certified asterisk and LTS would never be combined into a single
release, unless we are willing to have Digium control the flow of fixes
within that branch.  I understand why they created the branch, however
we (the open source community) have no really control of it, Digium
customers do.

> In addition we need a policy on how to handle experimental code. It should not be part of LTS, really.
> And it should not be experimental in release after release. Fix it, keep it in external branches or remove it.

I really like how the Linux kernel handles this, Linux Next[2].  It is
actually maintained by another team outside main stream, when people
decided code is stable enough to be merged from next into main, it is
actually very simple to do.  I'm not sure if we can do something like
that or not.

> The situation we have now with five downloads on the web site is not a good solution. Confusing
> your users is not a good policy. We need to clean up and base the clean up on a developer community
> discussion in the open.

Agreed.  For me, it is virtually impossible to keep up with the amount
of releases we do for asterisk.  And one of the reasons we are still
using 1.8.7.1. I personally think we are doing too much active
development on release branches to expect an integrator to keep up with
that branch.

One change that could be made is, stop merging forward fixes (eg: fix in
1.8, then merge to 10, then trunk).  And only fix said bug in trunk and
decided to backport into 1.8 / 10 depending on the severity of the
issue.  How to decide which bug gets fixes is another story, but this
would help drastically reduce the amount of releases for each branch.

Like I said, lots of people have ideas on how this should work, but it
would be cool if we could hash them out and come up with a plan.

[1]
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/~pabelanger/Asterisk+Release+Candidates
[2] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/next/

--