[asterisk-dev] Something wrong with Set command compatibility mode (1.6 and 1.8)

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Thu Sep 1 12:19:39 CDT 2011

On Thursday, September 01, 2011 03:49:09 AM Pavel Troller wrote:
> Hi!
>   I've found something, which could be a bug, but I would like to
> verify it there before possibly opening a case for it.
>   In the Set() application help text, there is stated, that:
> "Compatibility note: If (and only if), in
> /opt/asterisk/etc/asterisk.conf, you have a [compat] category, and
> you have app_set = 1.6 under that, then the behavior of this app
> changes, and does not strip surrounding quotes from the right hand
> side as it did previously in 1.4.".
>  The text is (except colorization) the same in 1.6 (tested on
> 1.6.1.20) and 1.8. But the behaviour is different:
>  - In 1.6, Set() STRIPS the quotes by default (it's OK, according to
> the quoted help text.
>  - In 1.8 (current SVN branch), Set() DOES NOT STRIP the quotes by
> default. I've found it by trying to port my 1.6 dialplan to 1.8, and
> it didn't work for a lot of extra quotes in GotoIf() and similar
> apps. So, it behaves in the contrary to the help file.
>  - To let Set() to strip the quotes again, it was necessary to create
> "app_set = 1.4" entry in the [compat] category in asterisk.conf,
> which is not mentioned in the help text at all.
>   IMHO something is wrong in 1.8 - either the Set() help text or the
> app itself. Should I open a case for it ?

No, the behavior is intentional.  Please read UPGRADE.txt.  We went
through an upgrade process whereby an upgrade from 1.4 to 1.6.[0-2]
would keep the existing behavior of 1.4 Set for compatibility, though a
fresh install would have the new behavior.  The default simply changed
in 1.8 so that the new behavior was now default.  You can still obtain
the old behavior by using MSet or by setting [compat] app_set=1.4 in
asterisk.conf.

If the help text for Set is incorrect in 1.8, then that should be fixed.

--
Tilghman