[asterisk-dev] Volume Control Methods in app_voicemail

Byron Clark byron at theclarkfamily.name
Wed Oct 26 17:51:43 CDT 2011

Currently, app_voicemail has a single volume control method: volgain.
I've written a new volume control method that uses sox to normalize all
voicemail messages (ASTERISK-17807). I'm not happy with the
configuration option provided by my patch and I don't think it has any
chance of landing in asterisk as is.

After a some brief discussion, it appears that a good way to configure
this would be to deprecate the volgain configuration option and add two
new configuration options: volume_control_method and
volume_control_value. Here's what it would look like in voicemail.conf.

Old Configuration
-----------------
volgain=3.1

New Configuration
-----------------
volume_control_method=gain
volume_control_value=3.1

This would allow addition of other volume control methods like this:
volume_control_method=normalize
volume_control_value=-0.5

While doing this, we definitely wouldn't want to break existing config
files, so a volgain option in the config file would spit out a
deprecation warning and then set volume_control_method and
volume_control_value to perform volume control using gain.

What do you think? Is this a good way to move forward? And of course,
the necessary bikeshed: what should those options be named?

--
Byron Clark