[asterisk-dev] SHA1 and MD5 code?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Oct 16 06:40:28 CDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:18:52AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> > BTW, it'd be nice to eliminate libedit from main/editline as well.
>
> If you can find a library with equivalent functionality that is
> compatible with the
> licensing scheme of Asterisk, we're all ears.  Note that libreadline
> is GPL and is
> thus incompatible with the dual licensing of Asterisk.

That's an interesting point.

In the beginning GNU created bash and readline. And both were GPLed.
Everybody likes readline but some people disliked the fact that it was
intentionally kept GPLed[1].

Therefore some daemons decided to write their own readline replacement
called "editline". Originally they used the broken 4-clause BSD
licese[2]. The Debian package 'editline' includes an old copy of that
package. As is the copy included with Asterisk (that had many local
fixes and adaptations since, IIRC). I have no idea what other
distributions include it.

The FreeBSD folks continue maintaing editline. OpenSSH and a few other
programs use it. As they continue using it, they relicend it to a better
(3-clause) BSD license. I don't follow it closely, but maybe it actually
gained UTF-8 support recently.

This is the Debian package libedit. As openssh uses it, I bet many other
distributions include it. But I didn't check.

So editline is actually not exactly compatible with the licensing
requirements of Asterisk (as is OpenSSL, but there's a specific clause
in the license of Asterisk for that). Libedit will work just fine,
though.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html
[2] Don't take my words for it. Both Stallman and Theo de Raadt were the
    ones wh initially decided it's a bad license that should be changed.
    The only ones that actually take it seriously are people who
    actually care about software licenses.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com