[asterisk-dev] SHA1 and MD5 code?

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Thu Oct 13 17:23:32 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 13:20 -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On 2011-10-13 13:04, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> >> If someone wants to put together a patch for trunk, it's worth reviewing. I
> >> guess the real question is: what are our current dependencies on OpenSSL,
> >> and are the MD5 and SHA-1 operations used for
> >> anything that doesn't also require OpenSSL?
> >
> > In answer to the second question, yes.  MD5 is used both by HTTP as well
> > as AMI for non-plaintext authentication, without requiring the use of OpenSSL.
>
> OpenSSL may be the most ubiquitous library ever. I only see advantages
> in using it for SHA1 and MD5.

If i remember correctly (its some time ago) last FOSDEM a couple of
blokes were telling that there were a lot of other ssl-libs. but the
most devellopers are automatically using the libs from openssl without
ever contemplating what let them to that choice.

In contrast to openssl, some of them were able to use the power of the
GPU for doing serious crunching, or use the AES-instructions of the
latest I7 cpu's from Intel.

One of them, polarssl, was brought recently to my attention, as it said
to be "leight weight".

hw