[asterisk-dev] Best keepalive for peers

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Sat Oct 15 13:02:34 CDT 2011

This is the asterisk-dev list.  If your question is not about directly
coding the Asterisk source, you're on the wrong list.  In this case,
the right list is the asterisk-users list.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Catalin S. <jonsonplayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have asterisk 1.8.7.0 version and approx 85 peers on it with 45 always
> connected peers. Can someone tell me what are the best keep alive settings
> for keeping my peers up?

> [Oct 15 20:30:30] NOTICE[28638] chan_sip.c: Peer '3002' is now Lagged.
> (234ms / 200ms)

This message tells you everything you need to know.  Peer '3002'
responded to your OPTIONS request after 234ms, but you have instructed
Asterisk to regard any phone that does not respond within 200ms as
lagged.

You have a number of options:
1) Get better phones that respond to the OPTIONS requests more quickly.
2) Segment or otherwise improve your network such that overall latency
decreases.
3) Increase the qualify number (default 200) to some number above the
reported latency.  300 would probably do it for you, if the above case
is typical.