[asterisk-dev] Setvar= for manager accounts

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Nov 3 11:05:53 CDT 2011

On 10/31/2011 10:42 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/1412/
>
> This code adds a setvar= for a manager account, much like a setvar= for a SIP peer.
>
> For every call that the manager account creates with originate or redirect, the channel variables will be set.
>
> Tilghman has noted some issues with this in the review and I fail to understand these issues, so I move the discussion to asterisk-dev which is a better discussion platform than reviewboard.
>
>  From my point of view, this is just like any device with setvar= that creates calls. As an Asterisk manager, I might need some variables for each and every call started by the manager account - like a windows pop up client. In my deployments, this has been missing - much like context limitation, which is another review.

I'm fine with the concept, and I agree with Olle's assertion in one of
the ReviewBoard comments that usage of this feature will be by Asterisk
admins who are trying to ensure that all channels created by a specific
AMI user have particular channel variables set with specific values.
This is a policy decision, it's not for setting 'defaults' that the user
can override/remove.

I only have two comments on the work as it has been proposed:

* The name 'setvar' is not specific enough, because manager.conf defines
'manager users', not devices that create channels. 'channelvar' would be
fine.

* We need testing to ensure that the addition of these variables to the
list provided in the AMI Originate action (if any) properly results in
the values from the manager.conf file taking precedence over the ones
from the Originate action. The code claims this is the case, but we need
to be very sure that it is in fact the case, and the comment in th code
needs to be worded very strongly to ensure that people modifying the
code in the future understand why it is done this way.

--
Kevin P. Fleming