[asterisk-dev] MP3Player 16kHz

Malcolm C. Davenport malcolmd at digium.com
Wed May 11 07:58:22 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hi guys,
>
> anyone of you ever worked on development changing the MP3 Player Rate
> from 8000 to 16000?
>
> I have no clue of C programming, but I just went into the app_mp3.c
> code,
> changed all values of AST_FORMAT_LINEAR to AST_FORMAT_LINEAR16 and all
> 8000 entries to 16000,
> compiled it, tested it, and it worked like a charm,
>
> BUT: I have no clue of C code, or how development works, so I am
> asking you, can please some developer do me a favour and change that
> in the asterisk 1.8 branch, to have it in the main branch?
>
> I think Asterisk now handles the sln16 format perfectly, so if someone
> calls with e.g. g.711 asterisk will convert that stream into the
> apropriate format.
>
> And now it's time to change the default of using a rate of 8000 for
> everything and use 16000 instead.
>
> O.K. Again now: Can please a real developer have a look at the code
> and do the change.
> It is very very easy fix, and it would mean a lot....
>
> Thanks, Joern.

Howdy,

Making that change means that anyone who uses app_mp3 who isn't using a 16kHz phone will be using additional CPU resources, for the resampling, for every call that is somehow tied to app_mp3.  I don't think we can make such a change without a large number of people agreeing that it's a good idea.  Most people are still using 8kHz phone devices.  So what say everyone?  Are most of your calls these days 16kHz calls?  Or, do you not mind burning some extra CPU for your 8kHz devices that might use app_mp3 in order that you 16kHz devices using app_mp3 sound more pleasant?

The alternative, of course, is to convert the mp3 files into signed linear files at 16kHz, since Asterisk has a file format for sln16.

Cheers