[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] Add getnameinfo() to ast_sockaddr_resolve ()

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Wed May 4 14:45:09 CDT 2011

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault at viagenie.ca> writes:

> I don't think it is useful to disambiguate between an IP address and a
> host name.

I can live without the distinction -- I never use the dial by hostname
or IP address anyway, so it does not really affect me.

However, looking up hostnames is only going to get more expensive in the
future, as Asterisk gets more SIP compliant with support for SRV records
with priorities and load balancing and all that. It seems useful to be
able to skip all logic if you know you are dealing with an IP address.

Maybe it is over-engineering.

/Benny