[asterisk-dev] Fwd: Asterisk Sip Registration Hooks

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Jul 29 16:56:06 CDT 2011

On 07/29/2011 05:50 PM, Mike Myhre wrote:

> That is great news! That is more than I could have hoped for in a hook
> into asterisk. How risky is it to move from 1.6 to 1.8 though? From the
> digium website, I see that 1.6 is listed as the current stable version.
> The downloads page shows both as being stable. There are many other
> features in 1.8 that I would like to take advantage of, but haven't
> wanted to 'open a can of worms' in 'new bugs I don't understand'.

Where does it say on the Digium website that 1.6 is the 'current stable'
version? If it says that anywhere, we need to get it fixed, for a few
reasons: we never use the 'stable version' terminology because it's
misleading, and '1.6' is not a complete version number (1.6.0, 1.6.1 and
1.6.2 were all 1.6.x release branches).

Asterisk 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 are completely unsupported at this point; 1.6.2
is in 'security fix only' mode. Asterisk 1.8 is the current
fully-supported release, and Asterisk 10 has just entered the beta
release process.

Nobody can answer how 'risky' a move from one version to another is for
you, because they'd have to know every way that you are using it
(features, configuration, etc.). Only you can answer that question, by
testing it.

> There is one other issue with asterisk that I have had problems working
> around. It is the CDR being lost when a redirect is done from the AMI.
> Looking at the bug reports, it seems to be acknowledged but not fixed.
> Is there a chance that it is fixed in 1.8 and I just haven't found it
> documented? Are there other options that can give me the same
> information (like CEL) that could handle the more complex situations
> that may occur in AMI call manipulation? A single CDR for each initial
> call is a lot to ask when in reality it may go from being answered by a
> queue, transferred to an operator, sent to a conference bridge and then
> transferred to another 3 way call. I see the ultimate solution to be a
> master-detail call record where there is one initial CDR with multiple
> records (queue.log or CEL?) that explain the details of each subsequent
> leg of the call. With 1.6, if I do an AMI redirect, I don't get any CDR
> and that is a big problem to work around.

Yes, the intent of CEL was to address the sorts of situations you are
referring to here, where the call was more complex that just "party A
calls party B".

--
Kevin P. Fleming