[asterisk-dev] Integrate SCTP as a transport protocol with Asterisk

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jan 27 07:03:51 CST 2011

On 01/27/2011 01:45 AM, Asif Iqbal syed wrote:

> I would like to implement/integrate SCTP as a transport protocol with
> Asterisk for my Masters thesis project. I have seen currently asterisk
> does not support sctp protocol. Is it possible to integrate sctp with
> asterisk? I understand it won't be easy. But I have more than a year to
> finish it. I would be grateful if someone can guide me where/how to
> start? In fact I have only a week time to show or proof that sctp
> integration is possible. At this moment I am not worried about performance.

Since SCTP is a transport protocol, you need define what you intend to
be transporting over SCTP. SIP? Media? IAX2?

If there is a platform-neutral method of interacting with an SCTP stack,
and there are specifications/standards available to show how SCTP should
be used for the application layer protocol you intend to transport with
it, it should not be terribly difficult to add SCTP support for that
protocol.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com