[asterisk-dev] Setting up a development environment for Asterisk

Paul Belanger pabelanger at digium.com
Tue Jan 11 09:24:44 CST 2011

On 11-01-10 09:20 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:
> I am looking to develop applications that use Asterisk. I was wondering what
> everyone is using to develop
> code for Asterisk. I am familiar with the Eclipse IDE. Does anyone have any
> experience checking out the code for the
> repository using subclipse, compiling and running the application? I think
> this is going to be rather difficult given the
> size of Asterisk. If you can share your experiences with setting up a
> developmental environment for Asterisk it would
> be greatly appreciated.

This is something I've been wanting to document for a while, now that we
have the wiki up.  I agree any feedback about how people create their
development environments would be great.

Here are some of the steps I use.

= Download source code =

$ mkdir -p ~/digium/asterisk/testing/
$ cd ~/digium/asterisk/testing
$ svn co http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/asterisk/trunk
$ cd trunk

= Modifiy code =
I default to vim, with a .vimrc provided by russellb. :) I tried getting
Eclipse up and running, but eventually gave up.

= Compiling =
Because I don't like install sudoing to root to install and test
Asterisk patches, I use a handy script located in the contrib directory:

$ ./contrib/scripts/live_ast configure
$ make
$ ./contrib/scripts/live_ast install
$ ./contrib/scripts/live_ast samples

This will create 'live/' directory containing a working installation of
Asterisk. Use './live/asterisk' script to start / stop Asterisk (EG:
./live/asterisk -vvvvvc). Config files are stored in 'live/etc/asterisk'.

--
Paul Belanger
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer