[asterisk-dev] Default Caller ID

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Wed Feb 23 13:42:21 CST 2011

On Wednesday 23 February 2011 12:28:33 Malcolm C. Davenport wrote:
> What say you, community members?  Would making some change to the
> default caller identification so as to not present "asterisk," be a
> good thing?  Or, are we garnering more benefit through our spreading of
> "asterisk?"  Or, perhaps it's important to your implementation that
> "asterisk," remain the default presentation?

I suspect there's many systems which are configured presently to deal with
the callerid being presented as "asterisk", and changing it is likely to
cause a whole new round of "It wasn't broken; WTF did Digium change it?"

In other  words, do you think it's worse to have some negative first
impressions about Asterisk that are quickly corrected with a little
education, or is it worse for the Asterisk project to get negative press
from its own user community?

--
Tilghman