[asterisk-dev] IAX hardphone

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sat Feb 12 08:23:27 CST 2011

On 02/11/2011 03:47 PM, David Vossel wrote:

> [...]

Actually, this is poor practice. Once the IAX2 specification was
published as an RFC, the valid values for IAX2 commands, IEs, and
various other components were placed into IANA registries. From this
point forward, any future additions to these spaces *should* have been
made by drafting an appropriate document describing them and requesting
that IANA add them to the appropriate registry (which would result in
numbers being assigned).

This situation is no different than if Asterisk wanted to start sending
a new SIP request method without getting it registered (although SIP
request methods have a much higher burden to meet before they are
registered by IANA).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com