[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits] lathama: branch 1.6.2 r305752 - /branches/1.6.2/channels/chan_sip.c

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Feb 3 09:39:52 CST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 04:59:42AM -0600, Russell Bryant wrote:
>
> > Another relevant piece of information here is that the license that
> > the wiki content is distributed under prohibits use of the content
> > for commercial purposes.
> >
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/
>
> May I ask why?
>
> Sure, there may be plenty of reasons why people would not want the
> documentation they write to be modifiable by others, or to be used
> commercially.
>
> So let's look at an example document:
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Development
>
> I really fail to see the reason you would not want me to reuse that
> content in other documentation. I'd really like to be able to reuse
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/A+Brief+History+of+the+Asterisk+Project
> in a Wikipedia article. I'd love to be able to reuse
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Important+Security+Considerations
> and not have to resort to using
> http://svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk/tags/1.8.0/doc/tex/security.tex?view=markup

Alright everyone, take a deep breath, it's all going to be ok.  :-)

To be honest, the answer to "why?" is quite simple.  We were putting the wiki up and needed a license appropriate for documentation and quickly picked one.  I'm certainly open to looking at changing it.  I'm traveling until next week so please give me a little bit of time to look into it.

Thanks,

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software