[asterisk-dev] AST.pdf and AST.txt

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Wed Aug 31 15:12:55 CDT 2011

On 31/08/11 12:40 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> Checked the doc files in 1.8 tar balls.
>
> AST.pdf includes a lot of side notes that I think should be deleted, like notes from conference calls, docs covering 1.10 (!) and stuff about an old Fosdem developer room. This doesn't make sense for a normal Asterisk user.

The PDF is generated from the wiki each time a release is made via the
mkrelease script. You can either fix or remove the references that are
no longer necessary off the wiki, or modify the wikiexport.py script in
the repotools repository.

(http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/repotools/)

> AST.txt can't be read in any text editor I have or in the good old "vi". What kind of txt format is this file supposed to be in?

Loads fine for me, although I agree it's not in a great readable format.
I suppose that's the problem with using pdftotext. Jira doesn't have a
"wiki to text" export interface. Really this should probably be a PDF or
something converted to HTML and then read with lynx/links, but I have a
feeling some people won't find that acceptable.

> I guess some quality assurance in this process would be useful.
>
> Should this be reported somewhere in the bug tracker to fit in some sort of process or can you handle this report?

I'd definitely report any issues in the issue tracker and tag them with
the Documentation component.

Leif.

--
Leif Madsen