[asterisk-dev] 1.6 vs. 1.8

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Aug 28 03:09:13 CDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 10:43:45AM +1000, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> On 28/08/11 10:39, Nick Khamis wrote:
>> Thank you so much for your response Alistair. How bad is the process
>> of building 1.6 with 1.8 patches? Is this documented somewhere?

First-off, there's no Asterisk 1.6. 1.6.0, 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 were three
separate versions. After which the number of significant digits was
trimmed back to "1.8" (and even further in "10")

Version 10 is currently at beta stage, which means it is by now feature
complete, but far from being production-ready (unless you're an
experimental type).

> It's very easy; just apply the attached patches to the Asterisk source
> then recompile. They were kindly provided by Russell Bryant.

Nick,

Well, this time you have someone who bothered backporting some fixes.
But are you sure you want to rely on that?

When is the planned deployment? If this is a new deployment I would
suggest going with the latest 1.8 and testing. If you encounter any
problem, there's a good chance others have encountered it and are
actively working on fixing it.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com