[asterisk-dev] Suspected deadlocks in Asterisk 1.8 under heavy load

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Aug 16 21:23:48 CDT 2011

On 08/16/2011 06:42 PM, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> Just to let everyone know, we strongly suspect that Asterisk 1.8.4.4 and
> 1.8.5.0 suffer from occasional deadlocks under heavy load, possibly
> related to the local channel. The symptoms seem to vary, but include:
>
> 1. Asterisk stops responding to SIP packets, but the Asterisk console
> and manager interface remain responsive. A "sipsak -s sip:127.0.0.1:5060
> -d" times out.

Matt Nicholson committed a change to the 1.8, 10 and trunk branches
today to solve a significant performance issue caused by the change to
chan_sip to return the SIP hangup cause to the 'master' channel. His
change made that behavior optional, even though it was already released
in 1.8, because of the performance impact it has. We had another
customer report a similar set of symptoms.

If possible, it would be most helpful if you could try that patch on one
of your affected systems before you downgrade it. I can understand if
your customer is not willing to let you try that, though :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming