[asterisk-dev] Keeping the 1.4 branch open

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Apr 27 14:23:29 CDT 2011

On 04/27/2011 02:13 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

>> The transition to 'security fix only' for Asterisk 1.4 was already pushed back quite a bit to take into account Asterisk 1.8 being released later than planned, and all of these dates were published quite a long time ago, so this should not be a surprise to anyone.
> No, it's not a surprise. But we have no working replacement for 1.4. You are putting people in panic mode by shutting down support for 1.4.

That's a pretty strong statement; I hope you are not speaking for the
entire Asterisk community when you refer to 'we have no working
replacement for 1.4'. In fact lots and lots of users *are* using
Asterisk 1.8, including a number I know personally.

If people are going into panic mode because they failed to prepare for
1.4 going into 'security fix only' mode when it was announced quite a
long time ago, there's not really much we (Digium) can do about that.
There have to be deadlines, and they were announced a long time in
advance, so that people could take whatever steps they needed to in
order to be prepared. If we continually ask "are you all ready for us to
stop maintaining 1.4?", the answer will always be 'no', and we'll get
nowhere.

I too hope that there is a group of people out there who will take on
the task of maintaining the 1.4 branch; in many cases, that will involve
looking at issues fixed in the 1.8 branch and determining whether the
same issue exists in 1.4 (and if so, backporting the patch), as Russell
did long ago for the 1.0 branch after 1.2 was released. It's not a small
task by any means, but it's not as if the 1.4 maintenance team would be
required to analyze and resolve every problem on their own.

--
Kevin P. Fleming