[asterisk-dev] Jabber feature enhancement

David - asterisk list dbc_asterisk at advan.ca
Sat Apr 16 13:20:38 CDT 2011

First submission on dev - hope I don't break any rules here. Couldn't
see anything obvious in the archives addressing this.

XMPP/Jabber allows for simultaneous registrations and presence is
reported by the lowest status value of all connected clients. This works
to hide the complexity of where you are logged in from an IM standpoint.
However from a telephone routing perspective it doesn't help.

I have modified res_jabber.c to let you JabberStatus to work as previous
but add the ability to query a specific screenname/resource. This lets
me specifically query the status of my desk client and route calls
directly to voicemail or to my cell if I'm "away" at my desk regardless
of IM activity on the account at other locations.

Unless I'm missing something fundamental about XMPP this looks like a
good thing. Let me know if I'm missing the boat.

Also, as JabberStatus's treats data failures as application failures
returning -1 invoking the 'h' extension. That doesn't seem right to me.
Data problems should just be a different return status to the dialplan
so the extension can deal with it a sane manner.

If this makes sense, I'll be happy to submit the diff -u for consideration.

Thanks all!
-dbc.