[asterisk-dev] How commiting new features to code

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Tue Sep 28 08:07:28 CDT 2010

On 10-09-28 05:13 AM, M Shokuie wrote:
> Im really not a newbie in developing code for asterisk but a newbie in
> comitting those changes which might be helpful for others too. I added
> some langugae support to voicemail in addition to date conversion
> routine in time.c, i need to know how could i commite those changes to
> SVN so that after testing and confirmation , be added to the original code.

The proper way to get your code and features into the Asterisk code base is to
file an issue on the bug tracker at https://issues.asterisk.org followed by
signing the electronic license agreement (which you only need to do once) and
then uploading your patches to the issue.

It is preferred that you use something like 'svn diff' or 'diff -u' to generate
a unified diff and attach the resulting file to the issue you've just opened.

Be sure to describe what the feature is accomplishing, and any testing that has
been performed. You should also update the CHANGES file if it is a new feature,
and/or UPGRADE.txt if it changes any existing behaviour someone would need to be
aware of when performing an upgrade from one major version to another (i.e. from
1.6.2 to 1.8).

All features should be created against Asterisk trunk, and not from any existing
branches as the policy is to only place new features into the trunk unless it is
solving a bug or security issue.

More information about Asterisk development can be found at
http://www.asterisk.org/developers. Also you can join the #asterisk-dev channel
on the Freenode IRC network at irc.freenode.net if you have any development or
policy questions. Of course the asterisk-dev mailing list is also a great
resource for information.

Hope that helps!

Leif Madsen.