[asterisk-dev] Code review: app_queue: Give members a penalty time for not answering

Håkon Nessjøen haakon.nessjoen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 02:31:55 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Mark Michelson <mmichelson at digium.com> wrote:
> You can actually already get the same functionality with Asterisk 1.6.2
> and later versions. It is possible during a call to adjust the
> QUEUE_MAX_PENALTY and QUEUE_MIN_PENALTY channel variables to adjust
> which queue members are available for answering the call. See
> configs/queuerules.conf.sample and config/queues.conf.sample for more
> information on this. Using queue penalty rules is advantageous over the
> proposed method because
>
> 1) Both the minimum and maximum penalty can be changed in mid-call.
> 2) The operations that happen in mid-call only affect the current call
> instead of affecting all calls. (your mileage may vary as to whether
> that is actually an advantage)
> 3) The default set of queue penalty rules can be overridden with the
> Queue() application, so you can have different behavior for specific
> callers if desired.
> 4) Multiple changes to the penalty window can be made in a single call.
>
> Mark Michelson

I'll paste, from the ticket, my understanding about MIN/MAX_penalty here:
   As far as I can understand, what you are doing is relative to the
caller, not to the queue. So if there is 10 callers. They all wait 30
seconds from when _they_ came to the queue, which can be any time.
   My patch is relative to the member. The member should not get any
calls at all for f.ex. 30 seconds. Also, is queuerules available with
realtime?

Håkon