[asterisk-dev] SIP Path support

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Oct 12 15:23:47 CDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 03:06 PM, Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Am 12.10.2010 14:38, schrieb Kevin P. Fleming:
>> On 10/12/2010 05:35 AM, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>>
>>> I just found out that Asterisk still does not support Path
>>> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3327)
>>
>> You might also be interested to know that 'Asterisk still does not
>> support' about 95% of the SIP-related RFCs that have been published :-)
>>
>> Phrasing it that way sounds like it was put on the roadmap and then
>> never worked on, or something like that... as if someone on the
>> development failed to fulfill a promise or a plan. Since (to my
>> knowledge at least) there's never been any discussion of even working on
>> Path support, that's certainly not the case.
>
> True. Sorry for my offensive phrasing.

It wasn't offensive, I know that English is not your native language and
sometimes it's easy for phrases to end up with unintended meanings :-)
Just wanted to make sure that people reading the archives of this list
didn't take this comment to mean that someone failed to fulfill a promise!

>> As Olle said, and as is usual for open source projects, features get
>> developed when someone (or someone's customer) has a need for that
>> functionality. The developers that work on Asterisk on a daily basis now
>> just don't have much time for 'spare time' projects to go off and
>> implement stuff that isn't already on the plan.
>
> I know. But I was really surprised that there was not even discussion
> yet as IMO it is the most elegant way for proxy-based load balancing. I
> guess there are thousands of setups which use a SIP proxy for load
> balancing of Asterisk - and all of these must do some workarounds for
> proper routing of calls from Asterisk to the client.
>
> I guess we need to take a look at the workarounds or find some fundings
> for Olle ;-)

Well, I suspect they just configure Asterisk to send all outbound
traffic via the proxy using the 'outboundproxy' configuration setting
and that does a good enough job.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com