[asterisk-dev] SIP Path support

Tue Oct 12 15:06:17 CDT 2010

Am 12.10.2010 14:38, schrieb Kevin P. Fleming:
> On 10/12/2010 05:35 AM, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>
>> I just found out that Asterisk still does not support Path
>> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3327)
>
> You might also be interested to know that 'Asterisk still does not
> support' about 95% of the SIP-related RFCs that have been published :-)
>
> Phrasing it that way sounds like it was put on the roadmap and then
> never worked on, or something like that... as if someone on the
> development failed to fulfill a promise or a plan. Since (to my
> knowledge at least) there's never been any discussion of even working on
> Path support, that's certainly not the case.

True. Sorry for my offensive phrasing.

> As Olle said, and as is usual for open source projects, features get
> developed when someone (or someone's customer) has a need for that
> functionality. The developers that work on Asterisk on a daily basis now
> just don't have much time for 'spare time' projects to go off and
> implement stuff that isn't already on the plan.

I know. But I was really surprised that there was not even discussion
yet as IMO it is the most elegant way for proxy-based load balancing. I
guess there are thousands of setups which use a SIP proxy for load
balancing of Asterisk - and all of these must do some workarounds for
proper routing of calls from Asterisk to the client.

I guess we need to take a look at the workarounds or find some fundings
for Olle ;-)

regards
Klaus