[asterisk-dev] doc/ -> wiki.asterisk.org

Tue Nov 2 14:48:22 CDT 2010

Am 02.11.2010 17:09, schrieb Russell Bryant:

> [...]

Yes, comments will be fragmented. But on the other hand, it may be that
comments are not valid anymore as behavior of an application was
changed/fixed or a commented workaround is not needed anymore. Take a
look at voip-info wiki: there are lot if comments that "this does not
work, you have to use workaround xyz".

Maybe it would be possible to add links to the comments to older
Asterisk versions at the bottom of the page to refer readers to old
comments.

Also, when the behavior of an application is changed then you always
would need to describe the old behaviors too - this may confuse people.

Finally this means the inline XML documentation needs to have this
versioning (as it is the source of the wiki), e.g. similar to following
(see added/obsolete/removed parameters):

   <function name="SIPPEER" language="en_US" added="1.2" obsolete="1.12"
removed="1.14">
     <synopsis>
       Gets SIP peer information.
     </synopsis>
     <syntax>
       <parameter name="peername" required="true" />
       <parameter name="item">
         <enumlist>
           <enum name="ip" added="1.2" changed="1.8">
             <para version="1.2">(default) The ip address.</para>
             <para version="1.4">(default) The IPv4 address.</para>
           </enum>
           <enum name="port" added="1.4">
             <para>The port number.</para>
           </enum>
           <enum name="mailbox" added="1.2" obsolete="1.10" removed="1.12">
             <para>The configured mailbox.</para>
           </enum>

Probably there will be situations where it is not easy to describe
changes in the XML data. If I look up the description of SIPPEER I am
not interested in when a feature was introduced or which parameters were
in 1.0 release but were removed. If I really need this info I just
change the URI to point to the documentation of an older release and
compare it. And for new feature I prefer the CHANGES file.

Asterisk is not that stable - there are always a lot of new funcs/apps
and new parameters to those. I think this will really fast make the
reading of the documentation complicated.

Thus I vote for a clear distinction between the versions and keep a
dedicated documentation for each version. Especially with LTS versions
it will happen that people look up documentation of older releases and
are not interested in documentation and comments of a newer versions.

> I know we can export into PDF, but I'm not sure about plain text.  I'll have to look into it some more.  Besides, you always have text-mode web browsers, right?  :-)

*lol*

Yeah, sure. Except you configure Asterisk on a carrier server with port
80 blocked and RHEL4 with decent packet manager to install lynx. :-)

regards
Klaus