[asterisk-dev] Support for BroadVoice Speech Codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu May 27 20:17:32 CDT 2010

On 05/28/2010 04:28 AM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2010 13:02:07 Frits Last wrote:
>
>> Is it possible for Asterisk to support the BroadVoice16 and the
>> BroadVoice32 codecs? And how could that be done?
>>
> It's certainly possible, but there are licensing issues to be worked out
> before they could be included in Asterisk.  Given also that we have a limited
> number of codecs available, our general policy is that the codec needs to be
> implemented in a hardphone before we'll look at provisioning a spot for it.

The narrowband broadvoice codec isn't so interesting. The wideband
broadvoice codec is supported by the Aastra phones. They are popular
enough to probably make that codec interesting. That was the key
motivator for us getting it into Freeswitch.
>> These codecs seem
>> like a good alternative for G.729a and G.711 offering a smaller bandwith
>> requirement and better audio quality.
>>
> Better audio quality, sure.  Smaller bandwidth requirement than G.729a?
> Really?

The narrowband BroadVoice codec quality is better than G.729A, but its
bit rate is twice that of G.729, and it computational requirement is
higher than G.729 (which is twice that of G.729A). The broadband codec
is, unsurprisingly, way better sounding than G.729A.

I can't see Broadvoice use growing, so the Aastra support for the
wideband codec seems the main motivator for implementing it.

Steve