[asterisk-dev] Support for BroadVoice Speech Codec

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Thu May 27 15:28:38 CDT 2010

On Thursday 27 May 2010 13:02:07 Frits Last wrote:
> Is it possible for Asterisk to support the BroadVoice16 and the
> BroadVoice32 codecs? And how could that be done?

It's certainly possible, but there are licensing issues to be worked out
before they could be included in Asterisk.  Given also that we have a limited
number of codecs available, our general policy is that the codec needs to be
implemented in a hardphone before we'll look at provisioning a spot for it.

> These codecs seem
> like a good alternative for G.729a and G.711 offering a smaller bandwith
> requirement and better audio quality.

Better audio quality, sure.  Smaller bandwidth requirement than G.729a?
Really?

--
Tilghman Lesher