[asterisk-dev] RTP streams suddenly stop

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 10:48:54 CDT 2010

In article <hm3o5a$mno$1 at softins.clara.co.uk>,
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> My main question at the moment is "what mechanism could stall all RTP streams?",
> and a clue is the almost-exact five minutes for which it happens.

Well, FINALLY, I have managed to discover what is causing this problem,
although I haven't yet fixed it.

The problem is in ztdummy. It is the one from zaptel-1.2.27, and has been
compiled with USE_RTC. The OS is CentOS 4 with kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp.
The system has a pair of quad-core E5420 Xeons.

By monitoning /proc/interrupts every second, I have discovered that when
the problem occurs, the RTC interrupts stop counting up. After exactly
five minutes, they start up again. Obviously the lack of timing from
ztdummy is causing Meetme and file streaming to stall.

So, does anyone have any ideas why the RTC interrupt might stall for exactly
five minutes? I have only ever seen it on this one system. Nothing is logged
in any of the system logs at the time it occurs.

I would quite like to try the HPET mode of ztdummy, but it looks like this
requires a much newer kernel, 2.6.22, which is way newer than even CentOS 5.
Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Tony
--