[asterisk-dev] bug 0016466: cidname and cidnum in output of "sip show peers"

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Sat Mar 20 10:15:19 CDT 2010

Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> We could however make a configurable "sip show devices" command where you simply
> configure in sip.conf what you want on each line. I think that's the only possible way forward.
> If we create such a command, we could stop changing the old lists and also have a template
> for other CLI commands moving forward.
>
> I do not recommend changing any CLI list, because sadly people use it for application integration
> and changing the syntax will also hurt these. Applications that parse the CLI really have to
> move to using manager instead.

I think this might really be the best way forward. If we can create some sort of
template that outputs the data for 'sip show peers' (or 'sip show devices' as
Olle has suggested), with the default template being what we have now, and then
the ability to allow people to modify that template to output whatever data they
want, then we can likely avoid this type of discussion in the future.

Leif.