[asterisk-dev] bug 0016466: cidname and cidnum in output of "sip show peers"

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat Mar 20 05:25:18 CDT 2010

18 mar 2010 kl. 21.35 skrev Russell Bryant:

> On 03/18/2010 03:31 PM, Ron Arts wrote:
>> For this reason I propose to add CallerID info to all instances of:
>>
>> -- SIP/netland44-00000402 is ringing
>> -- IAX2/iax-out-3-10507 answered DAHDI/5-1
>>
>> and similar log messages.
>
> Improving these very short messages to also include CallerID information
> seems reasonable to me.  However, that's not what the patch on the bug
> is proposing.  That patch adds more info to the "sip show peers" CLI
> command.

Which is already overloaded. Is there any other way than adding stuff to the one-line status we have?
We've been trying to recommend to move that kind of support systems to using manager events,
where you get complete information. There is no possible way we can include all the information
everyone wants in a format that fits a normal terminal window on one line.

We could however make a configurable "sip show devices" command where you simply
configure in sip.conf what you want on each line. I think that's the only possible way forward.
If we create such a command, we could stop changing the old lists and also have a template
for other CLI commands moving forward.

I do not recommend changing any CLI list, because sadly people use it for application integration
and changing the syntax will also hurt these. Applications that parse the CLI really have to
move to using manager instead.

Greetings,
/O