[asterisk-dev] Question regarding SMS(), SMSQ, SMSC

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Thu Jul 22 18:32:34 CDT 2010

On Jul 22, 2010, at 2:01 PM, Leif Madsen wrote:

> On 10-07-22 01:50 PM, AMARDEEP SINGH wrote:
>> Scenario:
>> -We use asterisk as voicemail server for our cellular network.
>> Asterisk
>> box is talking to Cell switch(GSM/VOIP/PSTN gateway) through sip.
>> -Extensions in * are virtual, just for leaving and accessing
>> voicemail.
>>
>> Requirement:
>> Asterisk to send SMS to cell switch(running SMSC) on reception of new
>> voicemail.
>>
>> Pointers required from Maillist users:
>> -How can I make * talk to SMSC(ip address:port).
>> -Anyone using similar topology?
>> -there are not enough examples/man/maillist of using app_sms(), smsq.
>
> Instead of using app_sms (which may or may not work, depending on
> what switch
> you are talking to, what protocols are being used on your
> connection, which
> carrier you're using, etc...) you may be able to use an external
> application
> that is triggered via the 'externnotify' option in voicemail.conf.
>
> Leif Madsen.

Amardeep -
    Is this SMSC running SMPP?  There are, I believe, interface stacks
for SMPP that are available as open source.  If you can cobble
something together on a command line that does what you want, the
current voicemail implementations may be able to execute a command
with the appropriate settings, as Leif mentions.  However, you would
need to get an SMPP client running as a third-party application.

    Alternately, does your provider support SMS via SIP INFO
messages?  I talked with someone as recently as today (Hi, D!) who
might be interested in committing the patches for that particular
method, but it depends on your vendor supporting that SMS transmission
protocol.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/