[asterisk-dev] 1.8 commit criteria

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Jul 21 18:17:54 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 14:57 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:

<snipped parts to avoid feeding the troll>

> I'm trying to figure out what the cut-list criteria is for getting a fix into 1.8 is, which is in 2 days.

Code that is written to standards, provides value, is complete, tested,
documented, and reviewed.

This patch has not made it high enough on our (Digium's) priority list
to spend a lot of time on, unfortunately.  There has also been little to
no test results posted by anyone other than the reporter on the issue.

> In this particular case, the fix in question is bug 11688, which as you can see from the number has been around a number of years (and clearly not urgent or it would have gone in by now).
>
> It's a not-insignificant number of number of lines (17 hunks total), it applies to SLA, which is a fairly obscure feature which few people use, and only applies to SPA-94x handset users... which further narrows the field significantly.  If it were up to me, I'd be hesitant to commit it since it seems like a lot of risk for functionality that doesn't benefit a whole lot of people...
>
> I've never set up SLA before, so I don't know what a complete test set would look like.

At this point on that issue, I'm not terribly concerned with a complete
test plan.  There hasn't been anyone on there that has reported any
level of success.  It looks like not many people have tried.  For
starters, it would be helpful for someone to get a few phones that
support the broadsoft SLA SIP extensions, set up Asterisk with this
patch, and give it a try.  See if it does what you want it to do.  See
if it does anything.  It's really helpful to get someone else other than
the reporter to try things out and report results.  That will get things
moving faster.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software