[asterisk-dev] Compilation Error - $100 USD Bounty

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Wed Jul 21 13:03:33 CDT 2010

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 12:19:43 Philip Prindeville wrote:
>   On 7/21/10 9:00 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 19:44 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >> FYI:  Posting bounties and then not responding when people approach you
> >> is an easy way to burn bridges when you need help in the future.
> >
> > Oh, so you're willing to fix build problems for a bounty?  All of the
> > build problems you have had you put on mantis and then bring them up
> > constantly on IRC to try and get others to fix them.  :-p
>
> Well, every time I posted a bug *and* a fix, the fix was rejected because
> it didn't fit in the grand scheme of how the build system owners wanted
> things to evolve.
>
> Given that this grand scheme isn't documented anywhere that I was aware of
> (indeed, from what I could tell, they were making it up as they went
> along), and any patches I continued to submit would continue to be rejected
> for reasons that I couldn't even guess in advance, I eventually stopped
> investing the effort.

The main interest is in ensuring that the build system works across a wide
variety of platforms.  Your fixes, in general, tend to fix something in your
cross-compilation environment and break it pretty much everywhere else.
That isn't always the case, but it's been true often enough that we
occasionally overlook a patch that is actually good for all cases.

In addition, you are persistently obstinate in refusing to consider any case
other than your own, including when I told you that your build system was
broken; you refused to believe me or work on fixing your build system until
I logged into your system, fixed it myself, and posted the patch on the
bugtracker.  All for free, and no, I don't expect you to pay a bounty.

--
Tilghman Lesher