[asterisk-dev] Opening multiple zap channels for reading / writing

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Jul 21 07:59:32 CDT 2010

On 07/21/2010 02:43 PM, Muhammad Ali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to open multiple zap channels for reading writing , one way i see
> of doing it is using  "open("/dev/zap/channel")" and specifying
> respective channel. The problem in this approach is i want to send /
> receive data distributed over multiple channels.
>
> To clarify the application , please consider the following description:
>
> Main purpose of doing this is to Transmit ETHERNET data over TDM on per
> channel basis. Suppose i am to send 1500 bytes of packet over TDM. And i
> only have 2 TDM channels available. How would it be done ?
>
> I am currently able to Transmit and Receive on single channel but i
> require more bandwidth to increase my throughput.
> the only way i knw of accessing zap channels is through /dev/zap/channel
> interface.
>
> If there is a way i can open multiple zap channels as single unit ??
> like 3 channels acting as one ? so i have a greater bandwidth.
>
> I hope i make sense.
>
> If there is a better way of doing so, kindly guide me .

You should really switch to DAHDI, as Zaptel is no longer maintained.

If you are defining these channels as 'clear' in the configuration file,
then you can bond them together by specifying them as channel groups
like "clear=1-4". If you did this, you can open only channel 1, but when
you read and write data it will actually be transmitted over channels 1
through 4.

Also keep in mind that Zaptel and DAHDI both already contain TDMoE
modules that can transmit Ethernet data over TDM links.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com