[asterisk-dev] AMI call on hold (new topic)

Chris Mylonas chris at opencsta.org
Thu Jan 7 16:57:31 CST 2010

Thanks for the details Kevin.

Firstly,
Your detailed 1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, 2.1 format of describing call states and call
actions are extremely handy
Do they exist in some kind of documentation for asterisk or parts thereof?
 Or did you whip this out from the top of your head?

Secondly, in response to this

It seems unlikely that this will be possible for Asterisk to do with SIP
devices without using proprietary SIP extensions for each manufacturer's
devices; I'm not aware of any SIP standards, drafts or other proposals
to allow a SIP endpoint to signal to the endpoint it is connected to
that it should initiate hold back towards the requesting endpoint as if
its user had done so.

This being the case, and without testing, could I just spoof the address of
the phone and send the SIP message myself and fool asterisk into placing the
channel on hold and create pseudo-3PCC?

Which kind of addresses this:

The best that can be hoped for is that a 3PCC agent could request a
channel be placed on hold and that Asterisk would initiate the hold
state towards that endpoint (and also update the bridged channel as if
that endpoint had requested the hold itself), but in this case *only*
the 3PCC agent will be able to unhold the channel. The endpoints
involved will display/act based on the fat that they have been *placed
on hold*, not as if they *placed the call on hold*. Even implementing
this would require, as Olle said, the ability for Asterisk to signal
hold outwards over a SIP channel, and to remember that it has done so.

Have a good weekend folks,

Cheers
Chris