[asterisk-dev] New wildcards for pattern matching

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Thu Feb 25 12:43:43 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Pavel Troller <patrol at sinus.cz> wrote:

> > On Thursday 25 February 2010 12:05:53 Steve Murphy wrote:

> > > A would seem more for just Alphabetic chars, wouldn't it? But who the
> heck
> > > would just want an
> > > alpha and exclude a number also? So A standing for alpha-num is a good
> > > choice also.
> >
> > No, it's not.  A, B, C, and D are legitimate DTMF characters, just like
> 0-9,
> > *, and #.  They should not be used as pattern match characters.
> >
> Hi!
>  As well as E and F, which are legitimate SS7 dialling characters  - SS7
> uses full hexadecimal dialling, and especially E digit is extensively used
> on SS7 trunks for network routing numbers (NRN), operator routing numbers
> (ORN)
> and other intra-network or inter-network cases, at least here in Europe.
>  With regards, Pavel

good point, that leaves us with G, H, I, J, K, L, M, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V,
W, and Y

Lets strike I (looks like a 1, or at least *can*). Strike out S ( like a 5).
Strike O and Q and G(too close
to 0), L (little L is too close to 1).

so: H, J, K, M, P, R, T, U, V, W, and Y

any favorites?  How about Y? doesn't resemble any number, and that
way the right end of the alphabet will be as used up as the front end. ???

or M, pretty visible, alphanuMeric, slightly mnemonic. (I looked it up this
time!)
Hey, doubly mnemonic!!! It's a winner!

murf

--