[asterisk-dev] Dialstring injection - security advisory release?

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Thu Feb 11 14:58:49 CST 2010

On 12/02/10 8:10 AM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>> It is however reasonable to expect php to protect itself and it does. No
>> variable or array element can cause code to be injected in php. I wonder
>> whether the php team would issue a best practice document if it was
>> found that, when passed to a function, a string containing for example:
>>
>> mystring");exec("poweroff");
>>
>> caused the host to poweroff . I am hopeful that they would issue a
>> security alert with mitigation advice but that they would also fix php.
>
> On the contrary, this is more akin to a PHP programmer including input text
> from a random user on his page, without defanging any potential
> embedded Javascript.  This is not a vulnerability that the PHP language can
> fix, but the PHP programmer is responsible for taking action.

I'd much rather see '&' being disallowed in a request by default with an
option to allow it.

The problem is recoding thousands of lines of dialplan code.

The other option would be a switch in asterisk.conf which changes the
wildcard to only match a-z, A-Z, 0-9.

That way you could mitigate most issues straight away with a one line
change, and those people who need to accept $#%^%$^@voip.com could deal
with the FILTER function.

Although this has always been here, it seems to me to be the same as a
newly introduced feature (discovered).

If one were to add a feature to 1.4 that required everyone to rewrite
their dialplan it would be frowned upon.

If it was a feature, surely it would be suggested that the one line
change, defaulting to on in asterisk.conf would be preferred.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell
Managing Director