[asterisk-dev] Directory structure for testsuite

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Dec 1 09:46:39 CST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 10:24 -0500, Paul Belanger wrote:
> Morning,
>
> I would like to propose a new directory structure for testsuite tests.
> Currently there does not appear to be a logic order to them.  One option
> is to break them out into functionality, similar to menuselect.
>
> tests/
>      app/
>          app_amd/
>          app_chanspy/
>      cdr/
>      cel/
>      channel/
>          H323/
>          IAX2/
>          SIP/
>      codec/
>      format/
>      func/
>      pbx/
>      res/
>
> Thoughts or possible alternatives?

I guess my main thought is yes, we should have a structure.  :-)

It started out as everything at the top level.  It didn't matter with a
handful of tests.  At some point we started creating some directories to
hold things that were clearly in a category, such as SIP.

The structure you suggest is a reasonable place to start.  In most cases
though, a test is going to use a combination of different things from
different categories in the structure.  However, there is usually
something consider the primary target of the test.

Another structure item to consider is the ordering of the tests.  In
general, I'd like to see the more "core" tests first.  For example, run
the manager interface specific tests early so they run before other
tests that use the AMI as a supporting technology.  Run the tests that
target SIP specifically before other tests that use SIP as a supporting
technology to make calls.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software