[asterisk-dev] Still running into build issues w/ trunk, bug 17720

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Aug 2 14:21:17 CDT 2010

  On 7/31/10 7:00 AM, Leif Madsen wrote:
> On 7/30/2010 1:09 AM, Philip Prindeville wrote:

>>> Actually I took that to mean that the pg-config tool should be modified,
>>> and not Asterisk.
>>>
>> Kevin was on the right track, that would be a solution... but it's not going to happen any time soon.
> I don't see time to resolve an issue as the reason not to fix it correctly.
>
>> A very similar "libtool is broken when cross-compiling" bug was filed over a year ago, and it has yet to be assigned or even verified.
> I can't find this issue anywhere on the bug tracker. Can you be more
> pedantic please?

Really?  I thought most people thought that I was usually too pedantic to start with.

Ok, well, you asked for it...

Seriously though, I'm saying I filed a bug upstream with the Gnu tools maintainers and it hasn't been fixed, over a year later.

Tilghman was suggesting that what's upstream needs to be fixed, and my answer was that past performance has indicated that this is unlikely to happen in a timely fashion... indeed the jury is still out about whether it will ever happen.

So working around tool deficiencies isn't completely off the table.

>> While Kevin's solution may be technically accurate, it's unlikely.
>>
>> At least not in anything resembling a workable timeframe.
> Again, I don't see the length of time as the reason not to fix this
> correctly.

How about the fact that it's out of our control?

>> So moving on, what's the workaround we're going to go with?
> I'm going to say the workaround is going to be the solution you develop
> or some other community developer develops in the meantime until the
> particular issue you're speaking of makes it up high enough on the
> priority list to be resolved by someone else.
>
> Leif Madsen.

And that's where we have an impasse, because whatever I typically come up with, Tilghman will hate as a kneejerk reaction... so spending the time to investigate the problem, develop a solution, test it, and submit it ends up being a waste of time.

Since only he seems to know how he'd like to fix it...