[asterisk-dev] sound structure within Asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Apr 28 10:11:13 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:53:18AM -0400, Paul Belanger wrote:
> List,
>
> I'd like to get feedback from the community about changing the prompt
> structure for Asterisk.  There have been previous discussions in the
> past and seems to be something that needs updating but would be
> considered a major change.  Right now we don't have any rule-sets in
> place on how applications (or developers) access the prompts in
> Asterisk.  IE: vm-goodbye, seems to be referenced by multiple
> applications.
>
> My suggestion is to see prompts broken into 2 sections:
>
> 1) Core / System prompts
>  * This would include digits, datetime, letters, silence, etc.
>
> 2) Appliation prompts
>  * IE: voicemail, meetme, followme, demo.
>
> Right now, if you decided to change the vm-goodbye prompt, it would
> also affect multiple applications since they too reference it.  This
> update would allow a user to make changes to an application, with
> affecting others.

Those who used it, used it for a reason. Do you want to duplicated the
prompt?

Or force anybody who used 'vm-goodbye' to use 'app/vm/goodbye' ?
(Assuming they know in advance that they use the new version)

But now you end up with exactly the same problem.

If all you're after is the duplication, you can simply 'cp vm-goodbye
test-goodbye' .

> The directory structure would be something like the following:
>
> en
>   app
>     voicemail
>     meetme
>     followme
>     demo
>   system
>     digits
>     datetime
>     phonetic
>     silence
> fr
>   app
>
> I realize this would be a big change to the code base. Thoughts?

Not only to the code base. Also to the prompt sets.

See also
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+sound+files+international

--
               Tzafrir Cohen