[asterisk-dev] sound structure within Asterisk

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Wed Apr 28 09:53:18 CDT 2010

List,

I'd like to get feedback from the community about changing the prompt
structure for Asterisk.  There have been previous discussions in the
past and seems to be something that needs updating but would be
considered a major change.  Right now we don't have any rule-sets in
place on how applications (or developers) access the prompts in
Asterisk.  IE: vm-goodbye, seems to be referenced by multiple
applications.

My suggestion is to see prompts broken into 2 sections:

1) Core / System prompts
 * This would include digits, datetime, letters, silence, etc.

2) Appliation prompts
 * IE: voicemail, meetme, followme, demo.

Right now, if you decided to change the vm-goodbye prompt, it would
also affect multiple applications since they too reference it.  This
update would allow a user to make changes to an application, with
affecting others.

The directory structure would be something like the following:

en
  app
    voicemail
    meetme
    followme
    demo
  system
    digits
    datetime
    phonetic
    silence
fr
  app

I realize this would be a big change to the code base. Thoughts?

--
Paul Belanger
Polybeacon | Consultant