[asterisk-dev] Sorry for late response - dialstring changes and SRV support

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Apr 20 11:39:24 CDT 2010

Sorry for coming in late on this topic, but I've been too busy to follow commits closely...

The changes to add IPorHOst to the dialstring needs to be discussed much much more. What happens if you already
have an outbound proxy? What happens if...

This is a huge change that needs serious thought.

I think the only proper way is to implement a dialplan variable that overrides any peer/channel outbound proxys and NOT have it in the dial string.
There are simply too many combinations that will fail. If the peer has an ip address - what do we put in the URI?
And why is there no peer setting for this?...

If you add a route to a SIP dialog, you need to add it as a route in the route set, which means outbound proxy and nothing else.
A channel variable that is documented to override peer outbound proxy settings, which overrides channel outbound proxy settings
would be useful.

You will get many issues with the current architecture. I think it was a bad implementation - but there's still time
to fix it, it's only trunk after all :-)

I also think the SRV function needs to be built on a proper implementation in the channel, not as a separate addon.
The channel needs to be aware of the current choice and stay there, and be able to switch if the current choice
fails.

No, I have no patch. I just have opinions.

Cheers,
/O