[asterisk-dev] "Digium development team" - not Asterisk dev team

Tim Ringenbach tim.ringenbach at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 11:00:36 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Nick Lewis <Nick.Lewis at atltelecom.com>wrote:

> One thing that puts a ceiling on the amount of dev work from the
> community is the difficulty in writing good c. There is an almost
> unlimited supply of people who can write good java but c is an art.
>
> Support for asterisk modules written in java may lead to an explosion of
> development within the community of new channels, resources, functions
> and applications all of committable quality.

Check out the asterisk-java library: http://asterisk-java.org/
Of course there are some limitations to what you can do with AGI and AMI.
EAGI over fastagi would resolve a lot of those, and beyond that I dare say
you ought to be using C anyway.

OTOH, it looks like someone has already done what you've asked for:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jasterisk/

I've had good experiences with asterisk-java. I just found out about
jasterisk while doing some googling to make sure I didn't say anything
stupid while writing this email.

--Tim