[asterisk-dev] Bugs/patches 16033 and 16590 ignored forever

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Fri Apr 16 10:52:24 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson <
kkm at adaptiveai.com> wrote:

> I keep bring these up to the attention of the list to no avail for
> months! This is the last time I am bothered. There are two very real
> very creepy bugs in asterisk that I submitted patches for, and the
> patches are sitting there "ready for testing" month after month. Every
> time I post a message here about these patches I am getting responses
> like "thanks for reminding us," "how nice you are being persistent,"
> and... that ends the attention span.
>
> If anybody is interested, the patches are:
>
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=16033
> [patch] Autocreated peers not deleted when unregister explicitly, become
> zombies
>
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=16590
> [patch] Monitor resumes recording after SIP transfer despite
> StopMonitor() having been called
>
> I am dropping these off my monitoring list. If they are gone, they are
> gone. I will continue to maintain them privately for myself.

While I can understand your frustration, giving up now would make all you've
done a total waste of time. You will have to keep updating your patches with
every release to the end of time. You need to see it thru.

First of all, did you go in and test your fixes on 1.4 thru trunk? The
developers
are obligated to do this before merging fixes into any particular release.
And if
it doesn't go smoothly, they might tend to let it drop to another day, when
they
have the time to adapt the patch (which they may never have).

Next, did you test your patch in a rigorous manner? Can you prove there will
be side effects? Show what you tested, and how.

Another tactic is reviewboard. For anything but trivial bug fixes, you might
post your diffs there, and seek comments on fixes there. If your fixes
involve
widespread changes, it gives you a chance to explain why, how, etc.

Next, did you test each release?

 And next, find someone with commit privileges and a sympathetic ear, and
sell them on the patch. Help them, and usually, they will help you.

Lastly, have patience. It could take months, if not a year or two to get
some stuff
coordinated and into a future release. If your mods are seen as possibly
disruptive to other
parts of the codebase, there may be concerns or reservations that will need
to be addressed. If your fix isn't perceived to the be "best" fix for the
problem, then
that could hold things up. If your problem is unique to you, it may be
passed over for
that reason alone. Your patch may even conflict with future plans, or with
other
similar niche user demands.  Sometimes, the patch might be perfectly
appropriate
and needed, but would require Digium funds or resources to implement.
Such things often stall the acceptance or implementation of patches. Either
hang in there if your cause is just, or retreat and cut your losses.

Best of luck

murf

> Thanks,
>
>  -kkm