[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.8 plans

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Wed Apr 14 17:04:20 CDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 08:34 +1200, Matt Riddell wrote:
> On 15/04/10 2:56 AM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 April 2010 00:45:19 Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> >> Friends,
> >> I just read an article where Kevin states that IPv6 is part of 1.8. And
> >> Russell will have a presentation in Paris on what's going to be in 1.8. I
> >> haven't seen this on the mailing lists, so can you please share this
> >> information with the dev list as well, so that we know what's planned and
> >> is going on? I think the dev list is a good place to pre-launch this kind
> >> of information, to keep developers in the loop.

Aren't you anyting getting from the two new ranges (014/8 or 223/8) that
were allocated to apnic this month?

> > I think that having IPv6 in 1.8 pretty much had to happen, given that the IPv4
> > range is running out of space, and a good number of mainstream US ISPs
> > (including Comcast) are on track to begin deploying IPv6 to their customers
> > in the next 12 months.
>
> Yah,  we were going to get allocated 1/8 down here in New Zealand but
> APNIC did some tests of it and found pretty huge traffic levels to some
> addresses (i.e. 1.1.1.1, 1.2.3.4 etc) and have now held them back as
> APNIC R&D addresses.  So the pool of available goes from 10% to 9.999999% :)
>
> On a side note I've been working with it here and am suprised at how
> much kit is being sent out right now (ADSL routers etc) that doesn't
> support IPV6 in any form.

afaicr, the latest fritz adsl2+ modem, 7270 can be upgraded with nativ IPv6.
docsis-3 modems (motorola) should also be doing v6.

> This is guaranteed to be a crazy switchover.

Before making that big step, one might try one of the tunnels from HE.
I presume that HK is the nearest you,http://tunnelbroker.net/status.php
 but you can ask HE for an AU-tunnel.

> It would be good to have some public test servers for IPV6 (i.e. similar
> to the Digium phone call in the dialplan).

rough eta for 1.8?
I have some address i can allocate to it (have some /48 networks) and
enough bandwith for a public test server.

hw