[asterisk-dev] Why are the DAHDI Kernel modules not part of the Kernel?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Apr 14 07:30:48 CDT 2010

François Delawarde wrote:
>> Everytime I update my Linux Kernel and I have to update the DAHDI
>> modules I wonder why they are not part of the Linux kernel. I think
>> meanwhile they are stable enough to be included in Linux - or are there
>> legal issues?
>
> It would be worth a try now that the kernel and userspace parts are
> clearly separated, and that dahdi is now quite stable. Also Linux now
> has some staging area for new drivers and dahdi should be good enough to
> be included there.
>
> Quite a few distribution have good packages for dahdi modules, so maybe
> the inclusion into mainline is not considered a huge priority?

We've had this discussion before, you can look in the archives of this
list to read the previous versions. Essentially, there are both release
cycle management issues and potential licensing concerns.

On the release cycle side, if dahdi-linux was part of the upstream
kernel tree, then all users who are using LTS-type Linux distros would
be obligated to convince the distro maintainers to backport new DAHDI
drivers and other changes into their chosen 'old' kernel release. While
this is certainly possible, it seems like it would just end up making it
harder for new card drivers (and other significant changes) to end up in
users' hands. In addition, it would always have to be distributed
separately as well, for users who are using distros that don't include
it at all... which means two different release tracks.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com